SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 290840

Submitted by keith.nunns / Mon, 14/09/2015 - 20:17
Snippet Detail

Plate 177 is a view of Long Meg signal box in September 1963.

It was brought into use on 3 July 1955 and measured 28ft 4in x 13ft 10in x 10ft, was of brick/timber composite construction and had a 40 lever standard 1943 pattern 6in centre frame.
The box remained in use until 1983, surviving the withdrawal of facilities to the mines by some eight years.  The box was opened for one day on 17 November 1983 to allow for diversionary working, following a mishap on the West Coast Main Line.