An image of the passenger platform (Island: up and branch) which served the up line to Settle and the line between Hawes/Northallerton and Garsdale. The branch was closed in 1959 although when this photograph was taken in 1963 the rails had not been lifted. The area of the branch line is now used as the station car park.
Also note the wooden posts for the lamps and compare with the cast iron ones of today - see /content/scrca-image256xxx2015-06-09knuplcontext-ne-02
This is one of a number of images kindly donated for use on the SCRCA project by a Friend of (and volunteer on) the Settle and Carlisle Line, Steven Horsfall. Steve’s father and friend took the images in the early 1960s, probably 1963 and show many structures that have since been removed or changed.
Mr Horsfall, snr and his colleague, Mr Peter Boocock, were members of the Halifax Cine Club who were allowed access by British Railways onto the line to record a film of the Settle and Carlisle line. The photographs that have been loaned to us were taken during their many visits made in 1963 to make that film of the railway.