Station Waiting Room. 1876. Architect: attributed to J.H.Sanders. Single storey single depth range, red brick walls with pink-grey sandstone ashlar dressings, pitched blue slated roof fitted with pierced ridge tiles and lead/metal covered gable cappings. Trefoil recess in each gable. Gables fitted with pierced decorative timber bargeboards. Continuous single ashlar course below eaves developing into stepped courses on both gables.
Elevation to platform facing west: Symmetrical five bays, of which first and fifth break forward slightly. Centre bay has double timber doors with diagonal board panelling. Bays one, two, four and five have two windows each, of two lights with stone mullions and 2-light timber windows with rounded upper corners. Gable to left on first bay has single door, gable to right on fifth bay has a further 2-light window.
Rear elevation facing east: Blank wall.
1: On plan the first bay is a separate room; the remaining four bays form the waiting room with wooden seats along the rear wall. The room was built with the left-hand first bay gable facing oncoming up trains at the north end.
2: The Waiting Room doors on the platform elevation are centred on the double doors in the centre bay of the Main Station Building and Booking Office on the down platform.
3: The Waiting Room stands on the up, southbound platform and is in railway operational use. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1st May 1876.
4: The building is listed Grade II as “Appleby Station, East Platform Building” (List entry number 1319067 first listed 1990-05-14). The description requires minor corrections.
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs and a site assessment carried out on 1st March 2019. It was last updated on 23rd September 2019.