Railway building and equipment for the Midland Railway, c1876. Architect (assumed): attributed to J.H. Sanders.
Single storey tank house approximately square on plan, with coursed limestone walls, mouldings and cornice, with single chimney stack to north elevation rising above water tank and terminating in moulded cap. Possible single 12-light window in south elevation, later removed and opening blocked. Assumed single access door in centre of west elevation facing railway. Centre panels of all four elevations, including in trackside west elevation and assumed in east elevation (not visible from photos) were recessed; upper edge of recessed panels fitted with console shaped corbel blocks. Cornice at top of all four walls also fitted with shaped corbel blocks below fully moulded cornice and plain blocking course above.
Metal water tank over in rectangular panels three panels high, five panels long, four panels wide. Metal access ladder and guardrails around top of tank.
1: The tank house was demolished after 1970 (date tbc).
- Anderson & Fox Settle & Carlisle (A&F) Plate 47, between 1892 and 1941; Plate 51, 1972.
- SCRCA photo R. Swallow undated.
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs, including the third-party reference sources listed above. It was last updated on 5th May 2020.