Station Waiting Room. 1877. Architect: attributed to J.H.Sanders. Single storey single depth range, rock faced sandstone walls with freestone ashlar dressings, pitched blue slated roof fitted with pierced ridge tiles and lead/metal covered gable cappings. Trefoil recess in each gable. Gables fitted with pierced decorative timber bargeboards.
Elevation to platform facing west: Symmetrical five bays, of which first and fifth break forward slightly. Centre bay has double timber doors with diagonal board panelling. Bays one, two, four and five have two windows each, of two lights with stone mullions and 2-light timber windows with rounded upper corners. Gable to left on first bay has single door, gable to right on fifth bay has a further 2-light window.
Rear elevation facing east: Blank wall. Building deeply recessed into cutting slope with matching stone retaining walls to rear and both ends.
1: On plan the first bay is a separate room; the remaining four bays form the waiting room with wooden seats along the rear wall. The room was built with the left-hand first bay gable facing oncoming up trains at the north end.
2: The Waiting Room doors on the platform elevation appear to be centred on the double doors in the centre bay of the Main Station Building and Booking Office on the down platform.
3: The Waiting Room stands on the up, southbound platform and is in railway operational use. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 6th August 1877.
4: The building is listed Grade II as “Passenger Waiting Room on East Side of Railway Track at Dent Station” (List entry number 1383850 first listed 1999-10-18).
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs and a site assessment carried out on 1st March 2019. It was last updated on 23rd September 2019.