SCRCA Formal Description for Horton-in-Ribblesdale Station Booking Office (Up)

Submitted by mark.harvey / Mon, 16/03/2020 - 10:25
Snippet Detail


Main Station Building and Booking Office (Closed). 1876. Architect: attributed to J.H.Sanders. Single storey, coursed rock-faced golden freestone ashlar walls, pitched blue slated roofs fitted with pierced ridge tiles on generally common ridge lines. Stone chimney stacks with moulded stone caps. Gables on all elevations with pierced decorative timber bargeboard and lead/metal covered gable cappings. Timber panelled doors, timber casement windows with curved upper corners, stone sills, mullions and lintels, the latter shaped on underside to fit over curved corners of sash windows and doors; projecting horizontal stone drip mould over lintels. Entrance to waiting room and booking office with glazed screen to platform in three bays with glazing on each side of double timber doors (see Note 1). Stonework of window sills and first course jambs painted.
Continuous eaves boards with cast iron gutters.

East elevation to station grounds: 3 bays, centre: projecting gable with painted circular decorative oculus over 6-light camber-headed window with transom and two mullions, all lights with margin panes; bays to left and right each with 2-light windows with straight lintels and margin panes. On main longitudinal ridge 2 stacks.  To right original further lower wing demolished.

West elevation to platform: 3 bays: left and right projecting gables, each with painted circular decorative oculus over 6-light camber-headed window with transom and two mullions, all lights with margin panes; in centre 3-bay glazed screen with cast-iron glazing on each side of timber double doors (see Note 1), roofed with shallower pitched cat-slide extension to main roof.  To left original further lower wing demolished. “Welcome to the YDNP plaque” as on Waiting Room and recessed clock to right gable.

South end elevation: 2 bays, left: 2-light margin-paned window; right: gabled with 2-light window to left, timber door to right with 2-light margin-paned fanlight over; three vertical slots in wall in upper part of gable. “Horton Station gardens are supported by customers and staff of The Helwith Bridge” plaque as on Waiting Room.

North end elevation: 2 bays, right: single 2-light margin-paned window; left: plain gable with three vertical decorative slots and evidence of roofline of demolished lower wing.


1: The glazed screen to the platform side of the recessed waiting room is in three bays, fitted between shallow masonry nibs on the side walls. The three bays are separated by four columns, circular in section at bases, shafts and decorative capitals, the two outer columns being partly recessed into the masonry nibs. The columns support a timber/metal beam with masonry over. Between the two centre columns is a pair of framed and diagonal panelled doors. In the bays on either side of the centre columns are windows with sills and diagonally boarded timber panels below, on stone plinths similar in height to those of the main external walls adjacent. Both windows have two vertical and two horizontal cast iron glazing bars; within the intersection of the bars three circular panes are inserted at mid-height.

2: This building is a Type 3, Small, former Main Station Building and Booking Office, standing on the up, southbound platform. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1st May 1876 as “Horton”, renamed “Horton-in-Ribblesdale” on 26th September 1927. It was then closed on 4th May 1970 and the building later sold into private ownership. The station was re-opened to passenger traffic on 14th July 1986. The building is in office use.

3: Not listed.

Acknowledgements and revision history

This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs and a site assessment carried out on 1st March 2019 and later. It was last updated on 23rd September 2019.