Railway building and equipment for the Midland Railway, c1876. Architect (assumed): attributed to J.H. Sanders.
Single storey tank house rectangular on plan with coursed rock-faced sandstone walls, mouldings and cornice, three bays to long elevations facing railway and yard boundary, one bay to end elevations. Single 18-light margin-paned window in each recessed panel with ashlar lintels and sills, that on south elevation widened and with lowered sill to form new entrance. Upper edge of recessed panels fitted with console shaped corbel blocks brought to main wall faces. Cornice at top of all four walls also fitted with shaped corbel blocks below fully moulded cornice and plain blocking course above.
Metal water tank over in rectangular panels two panels high, thirteen panels long. Metal access ladder and guardrails around top of tank, with modern roof level building added above (within) tank.
1: The tank house, no longer in operational use, was converted into a private dwelling during the period 2010-2012.
2: It is listed Grade II as " Tank House at Settle Station, Station Road" (List entry number 1132350, first listed 9/3/1984).
- Anderson & Fox Settle & Carlisle (A&F) Plate 11, 1939
- Rails in the Fells (RITF) Plate 66, before 1973
- SCRCA photos MRH 2012
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs, including the third-party reference sources listed above. It was last updated on 5th May 2020.