SCRCA Formal Description for Settle Station Waiting Room (Down)

Submitted by mark.harvey / Mon, 16/03/2020 - 10:16
Snippet Detail


Station Waiting Room. 1876. Architect: attributed to J.H.Sanders. Single storey single depth range, coursed rock-faced golden freestone walls with ashlar dressings, pitched blue slated roof fitted with plain ridge tiles and lead/metal covered gable cappings. Trefoil recess in each gable. Gables fitted with pierced decorative timber bargeboards. Stonework of lintels, window sills and first course jambs painted.

Elevation to platform facing east: Symmetrical five bays, of which first and fifth break forward slightly.  Centre bay has double timber doors with diagonal boarded panelling. Bays one, two, four and five have two windows each, of two lights with stone mullions and 2-light timber windows with rounded upper corners.

Gable to left on first bay has single door.

Gable to right on fifth bay has a further 2-light window.

Rear elevation facing west: Blank wall.


1: On plan the first bay is a separate room; the remaining four bays form the waiting room with wooden seats along the rear wall.  The room was built with the left-hand first bay gable facing oncoming down trains at the south end.

2: The Waiting Room doors on the platform elevation are centred on the double doors in the centre bay of the Main Station Building and Booking Office on the up platform.

3: The Waiting Room stands on the down, northbound platform and is in railway operational use. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1st May 1876.

4: The building is listed Grade II as “Passenger Buildings and Platforms at Settle Station” (List entry number 1132349 first listed 1984-03-09, amended 1988-09-13). The description is in several significant respects no longer correct.
It includes reference to this Waiting Room. It is suggested that the description should be modified with the Waiting Room text removed and the building listed separately, as at Dent and Appleby and as proposed at Cumwhinton.

Acknowledgements and revision history

This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs and a site assessment carried out on 1st March 2019. It was last updated on 23rd September 2019.