Railway building and equipment for the Midland Railway, c1876. Architect (assumed): attributed to J.H. Sanders. Single storey tank house rectangular on plan with coursed rock-faced sandstone walls, mouldings and cornice, three bays to long elevations facing railway and yard boundary, one bay to end elevations. Single 18-light margin-paned window in each recessed panel with ashlar lintels and sills; entrance door on south elevation fitted with projecting porch roof. Upper edge of recessed panels fitted with console shaped corbel blocks brought to main wall faces. Cornice at top of all four walls also fitted with shaped corbel blocks below fully moulded cornice and plain blocking course above.
Metal water tank over in rectangular panels two panels high, thirteen panels long. Metal access ladder and guardrails around top of tank, with modern roof level building added above tank.
1: The tank house was demolished after 1970 (date tbc).
- Anderson & Fox Settle & Carlisle (A&F) Plate 78, before 1909.
- Rails in the Fells (RITF) Plate 67, before 1973.
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs, including the third-party reference sources listed above. It was last updated on 5th May 2020.