Plate 62 is a context view from the north west from May 1966. The fences on the fell-side were built in an attempt to prevent heavy snow drifting on to the track (see SCRCA structure 253040). The waiting shelter on the up line is built into the hillside (see SCRCA structure 253370), a retaining wall provided at the back of the platform. Passenger facilities were removed on 4 May 1971 although the station had been unstaffed for about three years.
Plate 64 is a context view from the south from circa 1910. Although goods facilities were provided, they were minimal with crane, coal and cattle all being served from one siding. These facilities were withdrawn from 1 October 1964. The stationmaster’s house can be seen behind the station building (see SCRCA structure 253450) and was double-glazed to combat the rigours of the winter winds and in addition three sides of the house were covered with slates. A non-standard timber building to the left of the yard acted as a weigh office.
Plate 65 is a context view from the north west of Dent station in 1970. The site of a station to serve Dentdale had been in doubt even after the line had opened to goods traffic. The 1872 proposals suggested a station at Dent Head, while later Arten Gill was mentioned. However, the present site at Monkey Beck, now known as Cowgill, was decided upon in November 1875, the station eventually opening in 1877.
Plate 66 is an elevation view from the north west in 1963 of the No 3 (small) station building and shows the central gabled extension with an arched window matching those on the front gables. Note the pierced cresting to the roof and chimney stacks, only altered by the addition of short pots.
Plate 67 is a context view from the south from 1962 of the down platform, main building and booking office. The decorative barge boarding has been removed and a non standard feature in the shape of a hood is provided over each of the large front windows to afford extra protection.
Figure 27 shows the track layout at Dent Station based on information from Midland Railway surveys of 1876 and 1913. In 1964 the up lie-by was recovered and, coincidentally with signal box closure (1981), the sidings on the down side and the crossover were removed.
Figure 28 shows Dent signalling diagram based upon information available for 1963.
Figure 29 is a drawing showing the elevations of the No 3 (small) type of building for the S & C Railway.