Plate 111 is a view from the south of Kirkby Stephen Station in 1956. Bridge 182 is situated to the north of the station and clearly seen in this image. This is the second station with the large type of buildings. Note the angled name board on the up platform; all stations on the line had these until the beginning of World War II. An unusual sight is the two rows of what appear to be gas lamps; these are actually illuminated by oil. This station has undergone a number of name changes. In 1900 ‘and Ravenstonedale’ was added but reverted to simple Kirkby Stephen in January 1935. In 1953 the suffix ‘West’ was added when the ex-LNER station became ‘East’. Normality returned in May 1968 when the simple title was reinstated. Passenger services were withdrawn in May 1970, three years after it had become unstaffed.
Plate 113 is a view from the down platform showing the Main Building and Booking office and the up platform (SCRCA structure 266570). Bridge 182 is on the left in this image.
Plate 118 is a view from May 1962 from the northern end of the down platform looking north towards Intake bridge (occupation) (SCRCA structure 266700). Behind the Midland swan-necked water column (SCRCA structure 266620) is Bridge No 181 (SCRCA structure 266650) which carried the railway over the Kirkby Stephen Road. This bridge is similar to the one detailed at Garsdale (Figure 34) and was strengthened in 1903 with the addition of a steel centre girder. Note the timber panelling still intact over the parapet railings.