The name “Appleby” was changed to “Appleby West” in 1952 to avoid confusion with the ex-NER station “Appleby East”. After the NER station closed in 1962, the Midland station reverted to the original”Appleby” in May 1968.
Figure 48 details in three parts - a, b and c - the track layout at Appleby based upon information from an LMS survey of 1946 with other information from Midland Railway surveys for 1911 and 1912.
Plate 139 is a context view looking north of Appleby station taken in May 1961. The large no 1 type main building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-277270) is constructed of brick with stone dressing. On the left is the Waiting Room (Up).
This is the only station on the line which is provided with a passenger footbridge (No 236A - (/location-summaries/structure-277280). Cast-iron columns support steel-latticed girders and stepways, with timber floor and steps. The main girder was renewed in 1902 following a mishap barely a year after erection.