Plate 198 shows Armathwaite station some 25 years after the opening of the line. The oil lamps are still on the tall standards, and each lamp carries the station name. Note the rustic seats with the name painted on the backrest and the angled name board again. The station closed to passengers from 4 May 1970 after being an unstaffed halt for a number of years.
Visible on the image is the the main building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-298110), the passenger platform down (/location-summaries/structure-298100), (and at the far northern end, the goods shed) and the passenger platform up (/location-summaries/structure-298130) with the signal box (/location-summaries/structure-298220) at the far end.
Figure 74 shows the track layout for Armathwaite, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912.
Plate 203 is an elevation view from the north east of Armathwaite goods shed taken on 1963. A two-wagon shed was proposed for this site, although a larger one was ultimately provided. Note the lozenge windows, the wheel scotches at each end, and the location of the loading gauge. A concrete bin of LMS design was provided near the shed door, to hold sand.
The stationmaster’s house (/location-summaries/structure-298200) can be seen on the hillside behind the goods shed.
Armathwaite closed to goods from 6 April 1964.