Figure 86 shows the track layout for Cumwhinton, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1911.
Plate 215 is an elevation view from the south-east of Cumwhinton, circa 1955. Pictured from the public over bridge (/location-summaries/structure-304120), south of the station, it shows a medium-sized building (/location-summaries/structure-304140), well-maintained, and complete with all freed bargeboards. The goods facilities here were more in keeping with those provided in smaller stations (/location-summaries/structure-304210 and /location-summaries/structure-304220). Note the position of the signal box to the north of the station beside the ‘up’ line.
Plate 216 is another image from the south but this time the south-west on 16 July 1955 - probably also taken form the public over bridge (/location-summaries/structure-304120), south of the station. Note the poster boards still bearing the legend LMS (some eight years after nationalisation of the railways). The station closed completely on 5 November 1956. The signal box can be seen in the distance.
Figure 87 is a signalling diagram for Cumwhinton, based upon information available for 1955. The signal box was brought into use in 1897, was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6ins x 11ft 6ins x 8ft, had a 16 lever tumbler frame, and a renewal cost of £224 (W& W Committee minute No 15695, 20/5/1897). It closed on 1 March 1958.