Station Waiting Room. 1876. Architect: attributed to J.H.Sanders. Single storey single depth range parallel to track, coursed rock-faced golden freestone walls with ashlar dressings, pitched blue slated roof fitted with ridge tiles. Trefoil recess in each gable. Gables fitted with decorative timber bargeboards and lead/metal-covered gable cappings. Two stone chimney stacks with moulded stone caps, to left one stack in central bay on rear roof slope, to right a second on ridge at south gable.
West elevation to platform: Symmetrical five bays, of which first and fifth break forward slightly. Centre bay has double timber doors. Bays one, two, four and five have two 2-light windows each, with stone mullions. Stone sills painted. Gable to left on first bay is plain, gable to right on fifth bay has a further single door. Cast iron drinking fountain to right of central doors.
East elevation to station yard: Similar to west elevation, with first and fifth bays break forward. Bays one, two, three and five have two 2-light sash windows with stone mullions and painted sills. Bay four has a pair of double timber doors. Chimney stack between bays two and three.
1: On plan the first bay to right is a separate room; the remaining four bays form two waiting rooms.
2: It is not listed. Until c1957 the building was fitted with a plain cantilever canopy on all four elevations.
4: The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1st August 1876 as “Hawes Junction”; it was re-named “Hawes Junction and Garsdale” on 20th January 1900, then reverted to “Garsdale” on 1st September 1932. The station was closed on 4th May 1970 but re-opened on 14th July 1986.
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs. It was last updated on 3rd October 2019.