Main Station Building and Booking Office (Closed). 1876. Architect: attributed to J.H.Sanders. Single storey, red brick walls with red sandstone ashlar dressings, pitched blue slated roofs fitted with pierced ridge tiles on generally common ridge lines. Stone chimney stacks with moulded stone caps. Gables on all elevations with stepped ashlar projecting courses under eaves and with pierced decorative timber bargeboards and stone or lead/metal covered cappings.
Timber panelled doors, timber casement windows with curved upper corners, stone sills, mullions and lintels, the latter shaped on underside to fit over curved corners of sash windows and doors; projecting horizontal stone drip mould over lintels. Entrance to former waiting room and booking office with glazed screen to platform in three bays with glazing each side of double timber doors (see Note 1). Continuous eaves boards with cast iron gutters.
East elevation to station grounds: 3 bays, centre: projecting gable with vertical opening in upper gable; three windows, centre 4-light sashes, left and right 2-light. To right and left of projecting gable triple windows each with 2 stone mullions; centre 4-light, outer 2-light sashes. To right lower wing with two 2-light windows; to left still lower wing with two small 2-light windows; under eaves a 3-bay diagonally braced timber former toilet ventilation screen. On main longitudinal ridge three stacks. 4 rooflights on roof slopes.
West elevation to platform: 3 bays: left and right projecting gables, each with trefoil oculus over triple window with two stone mullions; centre 4-light, outer 2-light sashes; in centre 3-bay glazed screen with cast-iron glazing on each side of double timber doors. To left lower wing with two 2-light windows; to right still lower wing with door opening to left and to right two 2-light windows. 2 rooflights on roof slopes.
South end elevation: 2 bays, right: double doors; left: plain lower gable to wing with single doors to left and right.
North end elevation: 2 bays, left: 2-light window; right: gabled with single doors to left and to right. Vertical opening in gable.
1: The glazed screen to the platform side of the recessed waiting room is in three bays, fitted between shallow stone nibs on the side walls. The three bays are separated by four columns, circular in section at bases, shafts and decorative capitals, the two outer columns being partly recessed into the stone nibs. Above the capitals the columns are square in section, to which are fitted two decorative brackets in each bay, together supporting a timber beam with ashlar over. Between the two centre columns is a pair of framed and diagonal panelled doors under a decorative transom linking column capitals. Above the transom is a fanlight with three glazing bars. In the bays on either side of the centre columns are windows with sills and diagonal boarded timber panels below, on stone plinths similar in height to those of the main external walls adjacent. The three vertical glazing bars in each window have three and two half diagonal square panes inserted at mid-height.
2: This is a Type 2, Medium, former Main Station Building and Booking Office, and stands on the up, southbound platform. The station was opened by the Midland Railway on 1st May 1876 then closed on 4th May 1970 and later sold into private ownership. The building is in lettable residential use as holiday apartments.
3: It is not listed.
4: The Waiting Room (SCRCA Location ID 280200) opposite on the down, northbound platform is separately described.
Acknowledgements and revision history
This formal description was prepared by Richard J. A. Tinker from photographs and a site assessment carried out on 19th September 2019. It was last updated on 1st October 2019.