- Ormside station opened to passenger traffic on May 1st, 1876 and to goods on April 1st, 1880.
- On the 15th August 1876, three people (2 passengers and a guard) were injured near Ormside when a Carlisle to St Pancras express passenger train was hit by runaway wagons that had become detached from a northbound Bradford to Carlisle goods train. This incident is believed to be the first recorded operational accident on the Settle-Carlisle railway.
- The station closed to both goods and passengers on June 2nd, 1952.
- According to the offical map produced by Eden District Council, the entire site of the former station lies within the Settle-Carlisle Railway Conservation Area (SCRCA) - see:
- During the 1960's, the former booking office building was rented to Ruffwood School in Knowsley (Merseyside) who used it as a residential centre for outdoor activity breaks. The school's P.T.A. purchased the freehold to the building at some point during the 1980s.
- At some point, the centre was made available to other schools and community groups (to help cover costs).
- Usage of the centre began to decline in 2000 as a result of the foot-and-mouth outbreak and broader concerns about health and safety.
- The closure of Ruffwood School in September 2008 could have resulted in the building being offered for sale. However, the 'Friends of Ruffwood PTA' had other ideas and, after raising the necessary funds, the building was refurbished and rebranded as the 'Ormside Education Centre'.
- The 'Ormside Education Centre' was officially re-opened by the Mayor of Appleby-in-Westmorland (Andrew Connell) on July 17th, 2017. Additional information is available on the centre's website:
- On 25th August 2017, plans were submitted to Eden District Council to demolish part of the south end of the original (1875) booking office building in order to construct a large extension to the south. Eden District Council approved the plans, despite the fact that the building lies wholly within the SCRCA. Planning application number 17/0748 can be viewed at:
- On 11 December 2017 amended plans were submitted to Eden District Council. Planning application number 17/1053 can be viewed at:
- 25 July 2018, amended plans were submitted to Eden District Council. Planning application number 18/0589 can be viewed at:
- On 29th May 2009, plans were submitted to Eden District Council to erect a side extension to number 2 Station Cottages. These plans were approved on 10th July 2009. Planning application number 09/0406 can be viewed at:
- On Wednesday 23rd May 2007, an extension to the former station master's house at Ormside won an award in the 'Domestic extension' category of the 'Eden Design and Build Quality Awards'. The builder was named as Eden Stone Ltd., Long Marton.
Knowledge base compiled by and © Mark R. Harvey. The information relating to the use of the former booking office building as an outdoor centre was derived from https://www.ormsideeducationcentre.co.uk/.