SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 284710

Submitted by keith.nunns / Tue, 07/07/2015 - 18:09
Snippet Detail

Figure 58 shows the track layout for Culgaith, from a Midland Railway survey for 1912.  Note the simplified track layout to the goods yard.  The loading platform was constructed in 1880 to handle potato traffic.

Plate 155 is a context view of Culgaith station from the north at the turn of the 19th/20th century.
Early plans precluded a station at Culgaith, but the local vicar, Revd G W Atkinson, together with some local landowners, wrote to Derby requesting a station.

The request was at first refused but, as the residents persisted, Crossley was asked to discuss the matter with the vicar.  The negotiations must have been favourable, but were dependent upon the local authority constructing and maintaining a suitable road to the village.  This they promised to do in 1875 although Imlementation was obviously delayed.  It seems that there was some form of track down the hill from the village, for which a level crossing and crossing keeper’s house were provided.  Indeed it was this house that formed the basis of early plans for the station’s building, although eventually the station that finally opened on 1 April 1880 had the building illustrated here.

In the plate can be seen the first signal box, which was subsequently replaced in 1908.  Official records indicate that, at the new station, ten levers were provided for signalling, etc but no mention of a signal box was made.

For most part, platforms were of timber construction, unusual for that time.  Again there are tall posted oil lamps ranged along the platforms.  The fencing was of vertical paling type, later to be replaced.

At the other side of the level crossing (/location-summaries/structure-284680)the small goods yard (/location-summaries/structure-284640) can be seen.  The local community expected a goods shed, but the Midland Railway declined to provide one.

Plate 156 is a context view from the north, almost identical to that in Plate 155, taken in May 1965.  However, a few changes have taken place, and include a new signal box (/location-summaries/structure-284670), new fencing, the ivy has been removed and the ornate lamp columns have been replaced by lamps on wooden posts.

In line with other Settle and Carlisle stations, Culgaith became an unstaffed halt on 2 January 1967, and was closed to passengers on 4 May 1970.  Goods facilities had been withdrawn on 5 October 1964.

Plate 157 is a view from the south of Culgaith from June. 1961.  On the right is the crossing keeper’s house (/location-summaries/structure-284690), originally intended as the basis of station building.  The structure which was eventually built bears no relation to other Settle and Carlisle structures, although it is an attractive style building.