Plate 182 is an elevation view from the south of Lazonby and Kirkoswald station in August 1966. This is a fine view of a No 2 medium-size station. Kirkoswald was added to the name from July 1895. The station became an unstaffed halt on 2 January 1967, and closed to passengers on 4 May 1970.
The image shows the main station building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-292560) on the passenger platform (down) (/location-summaries/structure-292570). In the distance are the swan-neck water crane (/location-summaries/structure-292630) and the goods shed.
Figure 71 shows the Lazonby and Kirkoswald track layout from a Midland Railway survey of 1911.
Plate 186 shows Lazonby siding (/location-summaries/structure-292770) in 1913.
The typical Settle & Carlisle style of goods shed was provided to hold three wagons. The wheel scotch, just outside the shed door, was an item usually provided on the rail at each end of a shed where through running was allowed.
Work is being carried out at the wagons at the far end, adjacent to the crane (/location-summaries/structure-292700). It would appear that the Midland Railway was about to move a large quantity of timber, stored at the yard awaiting shipment. Lazonby goods yard handled a great deal of lumber from forestry workings in the locality. Lazonby was also a centre for the auction of livestock, principally sheep, which were moved in large quantities; hence the need for storage of livestock vehicles on the long siding (/location-summaries/structure-292770).