The name “Appleby” was changed to “Appleby West” in 1952 to avoid confusion with the ex-NER station “Appleby East”. After the NER station closed in 1962, the Midland station reverted to the original”Appleby” in May 1968.
Figure 48 details in three parts - a, b and c - the track layout at Appleby based upon information from an LMS survey of 1946 with other information from Midland Railway surveys for 1911 and 1912.
Plate 138 is a context view of Appleby taken from the footbridge looking south on 22 August 1964. In the distance can be seen the outline of the Express Dairy Company Creamery. On the left, part hidden by trees, is the water tank (/location-summaries/structure-277210). The goods shed for five wagons can be seen beyond the goods train on the down line, and across the line from this is Appleby West signal box (/location-summaries/structure-277050). In the goods yard extensive facilities were provided for the movement of livestock with a 10 wagon cattle dock (/location-summaries/structure-277200) A small stable was provided to the rear of the goods yard. The main building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-277270) is on the right of the image.