Plate 181 is an elevation view from the north showing Lazonby and Kirkoswald station in 1939. The photographer is standing alongside the extensive cattle pens for eight wagons, provided for the large volume of livestock traffic generated here (/location-summaries/structure-292640). Although the year is 1939, the station is still in its Midland Railway guise. Note, particularly, the fencing, the tall nameboard, and swan-neck water crane (/location-summaries/structure-292630). The stationmaster’s house (/location-summaries/structure-292590) is seen on the left together with the passenger platform (up) and the passenger waiting room (up) (/location-summaries/structure-292550).
Figure 71 shows the Lazonby and Kirkoswald track layout from a Midland Railway survey of 1911.
Plate 183 is an elevation image of Lazonby signal box (/location-summaries/structure-292720). Brought into use on 18 July 1895, it was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, had a 16 lever tumbler frame and a renewal cost of £212 (W & W Committee minute No 14316, 7/6/1895). It closed on 25 June 1969. All ‘down’ side connections had been taken out of use from 29 March 1965, goods facilities having been withdrawn from 2 November 1964.
The concrete chemical toilet near to the signal box is an old LMS design. The handrails to the signal box staircase are of tubular steel, again to LMS designs. The brick-built coal bunker was not, as usually, provided by the Midland railway and follows LNWR practice. The plate layers’ cabin on the ‘up’ platform is a BR standard feature.
The 12,000 gallon water tank (/location-summaries/structure-292620) of the 1872 proposals is in evidence at the Carlisle end of the ‘up’ platform.