Holy Ascension Church, Settle lies outside the boundary of the Settle-Carlisle Railway Conservation Area (SCRCA). However, it has a direct and important association with the SCRCA through the memorial to "those, who through accidents lost their lives, in constructing the railway works between Settle, and Dent Head", plus the marked and unmarked graves of a significant number of those people.
SCRCA structure 236810: Memorials to SCR Construction Workers at Holy Ascension Church, Settle
Key details from the Location Record
- Location Type
- Monument / Memorial
- Location Variant
- Memorial Type - Other
- Assessment status
- Current Use(s)
- Shown on a land plan?
- Construction / installation period
- MR-C: Constructed by the Midland Railway Co. between 1869 and 31st December 1876.
- Distance from London St.Pancras
- 236 miles (chains not estimated)
- Position relative to running lines
- This location IS visible from nearby publicly accessible land.
- Accessibility (ease of access)
- Protection Category
- Listed, Grade II
- Geographic Location
- View this location on mapping. or on aerial imagery.
Errors and omissions