Recently Uploaded Snippets

This webpage allows regular visitors to the SCRCA web-portal to quickly and easily view recently uploaded 'snippets'.   Show / hide tips

  • If desired, use the filter below to display only snippets of the matching type.
  • Snippets are grouped by month/year (with the most recent at the top), then displayed in reverse date order for each period.
  • If the snippet text is shorter than 500 characters, the snippet is shown in full. Longer snippets are trimmed to 500 characters. Trimming is denoted by the elipse (...) and by the addition of a 'Read more' link. To improve the readability of the trimmed text, all formatting within the snippet extract is removed except for paragraph breaks, line breaks and hyperlinks.
  • To open the full snippet, click / tap on its title or 'Read more' link.

October 2015

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 302890

Created on 12 Oct 2015.

Figure 81 is a diagram of the track layout at Howe & Company's Siding, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 6 August 1886 in connection with the provision of a private siding to the brick and tile works of Mr Claude Lonsdale.  By 1912, the works of this company went under the name of the Carlisle Brick and Tile Co.  Note the position of the signal box (/location-summaries/structure-302900) on the 'up' side, this box had twelve levers, two of which were spare.  The connection to the siding… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 302900

Created on 12 Oct 2015.

Figure 81 is a diagram of the track layout at Howe & Company's Siding, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 6 August 1886 in connection with the provision of a private siding to the brick and tile works of Mr Claude Lonsdale.  By 1912, the works of this company went under the name of the Carlisle Brick and Tile Co (/location-summaries/structure-302800).  Note the position of the signal box  on the 'up' side, this box had twelve levers, two of which were spare.  The connection to the… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 302800

Created on 12 Oct 2015.

Figure 81 is a diagram of the track layout at Howe & Company's Siding, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 6 August 1886 in connection with the provision of a private siding to the brick and tile works of Mr Claude Lonsdale.  By 1912, the works of this company went under the name of the Carlisle Brick and Tile Co.  Note the position of the signal box (/location-summaries/structure-302900) on the 'up' side, this box had twelve levers, two of which were spare.  The connection to the siding… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 301150

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 80 shows the track layout for Cotehill, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912. Plate 212 shows Cotehill Station shortly before complete closure on 7 April 1952.  The main station building (/location-summaries/structure-301260) is on the left.  The connection to the ‘down’ sidings  can be seen on the left, the track layout diagram (Figure 80) shows two double slips, but these were replaced by plain turnouts in 1942.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 301280

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 80 shows the track layout for Cotehill, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912. Plate 212 shows Cotehill Station shortly before complete closure on 7 April 1952.  The main station building (/location-summaries/structure-301260) is on the left.  The connection to the ‘down’ sidings (/location-summaries/structure-301150) can be seen on the left, the track layout diagram (Figure 80) shows two double slips, but these were replaced by plain turnouts in 1942.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 301260

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 80 shows the track layout for Cotehill, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912. Plate 212 shows Cotehill Station shortly before complete closure on 7 April 1952.  The main station building is on the left.  The connection to the ‘down’ sidings (/location-summaries/structure-301150) can be seen on the left, the track layout diagram (Figure 80) shows two double slips, but these were replaced by plain turnouts in 1942.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 301080

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 80 shows the track layout for Cotehill, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912. Plate 211 is Cotehill in 1964 showing the detached station master’s house and the terrace of four workers’ houses (/location-summaries/structure-301060). The private line to the Robinson’s Knott Hill plaster works originally passed across the field in the foreground, but all evidence had disappeared in the forty or so years from the removal of the siding in 1940.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 301060

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 80 shows the track layout for Cotehill, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912. Plate 210 is a view looking north over Cotehill Viaduct (/location-summaries/structure-301030) on 23 October 1958.  Note the LMS bridge numberplate on the western parapet and the just visible painted Midland numbers on the eastern side capstone, the end stone of the coping. Above the western parapet can be seen the terrace of four workers’ houses. Plate 211 is Cotehill in 1964 showing… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 301030

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 80 shows the track layout for Cotehill, based upon information from a Midland Railway survey of 1912. Plate 209 shows Coleshill Viaduct - Bridge No 333 - 301 miles 3 chains. A comparatively short viaduct of 91 yards in length, it utilises construction techniques not previously seen.  Stone was used for the abutments, piers, spandrel walls and parapet coping.  The brick used for the arch rings was unusually not faced with stone.  Brick was also used for the parapet wall on the string… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 299690

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Plate 208 Is of Low House Crossing as seen from the north (/location-summaries/structure-299680).  Information regarding both the box and the frame is inconclusive, but it appears that the box was constructed on 14 October 1890, and that the present frame was brought into use from 12 October 1900; this latter date would coincide with Way and Works Committee Minute No 18026, 6 July 1900, for a renewal cost of £250. The crossing gates were removed and lifting barriers were provided in 1975.  … Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 299680

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Plate 208 is of Low House Crossing as seen from the north.  Information regarding both the box and the frame is inconclusive, but it appears that the box was constructed on 14 October 1890, and that the present frame was brought into use from 12 October 1900; this latter date would coincide with Way and Works Committee Minute No 18026, 6 July 1900, for a renewal cost of £250. The crossing gates were removed and lifting barriers were provided in 1975.  Although the road crosses the railway on… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 299090

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Plate 206 is of Dry Beck Viaduct, Armathwaite  in 1919 - Bridge 326 - 299 miles 5 chains. This view shows maintenance in progress to the 139 yard long viaduct of seven 44ft 4ins spans constructed with stone abiutments, wings, piers and parapets.  In this view, repairs are being carried out to the brick arch rings, and the use of timber scaffolding and platforms should be compared with modern methods.  Note the timber chute used to transfer material to the base of the 80ft high structure.  … Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298210

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Plate 204 is a shot from the south showing the Armathwaite signal box (/location-summaries/structure-298220) on 20 July 1957. In front of the box is the lamp hut. Plate 205 shows Armathwaite signal box which was brought into use on 16 July 1899.  It is of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 12ft, had a 16 lever tumbler frame, and a renewal cost of £260 (W &W Committee Minute No 17176, 18/5/1899).  It closed on 15 January 1983. A Midland corrugated-iron oil store is again in… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298200

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Plate 203 is an elevation view from the north east of Armathwaite goods shed (/location-summaries/structure-298230) taken on 1963.  A two-wagon shed was proposed for this site, although a larger one was ultimately provided.  Note the lozenge windows, the wheel scotches at each end, and the location of the loading gauge.  A concrete bin of LMS design was provided near the shed door, to hold sand. The stationmaster’s house can be seen on the hillside behind the goods shed. Armathwaite closed to… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298140

Created on 5 Oct 2015.

Figure 77 is a plan and elevations for the stone-built type of shelter, from an official drawing. Plate 202 is a photo of a fine example of the stone waiting shelter at Armathwaite, pictured on 8 June 1968.  Note the diagonally-boarded panels to the doors, the pierced cresting to the roof and the bargeboards, all echoing those to be found on the main building.  Compare the shelter barge boarding with that at other locations, often being to an alternative design. Plate 205 shows Armathwaite… Read more

September 2015

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298120

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 199 is a view of Armathwaite station, looking south from the ‘up’ platform and showing the main station building (/location-summaries/structure-298110).  Note the grading post set near the waiting area screen.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298230

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 198 shows Armathwaite station some 25 years after the opening of the line.  The oil lamps are still on the tall standards, and each lamp carries the station name.  Note the rustic seats with the name painted on the backrest and the angled name board again.  The station closed to passengers from 4 May 1970 after being an unstaffed halt for a number of years. Visible on the image is the the main building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-298110), the passenger platform down… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298130

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 198 shows Armathwaite station some 25 years after the opening of the line.  The oil lamps are still on the tall standards, and each lamp carries the station name.  Note the rustic seats with the name painted on the backrest and the angled name board again.  The station closed to passengers from 4 May 1970 after being an unstaffed halt for a number of years. Visible on the image is the the main building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-298110), the passenger platform down… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298100

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens (/location-summaries/structure-298170) are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, (/location-summaries/… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298190

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens (/location-summaries/structure-298170) are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, (/location-summaries… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298260

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens (/location-summaries/structure-298170) are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, (/location-summaries/… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298170

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, (/location-summaries/structure-298180) a facility provided… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298175

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens (/location-summaries/structure-298170) are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, (/location-summaries/… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298180

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 197 is a context view from the west,circa 1930, of Armathwaite station.  The unusual scene illustrates many details to be found in the vicinity of stations, but not frequently photographed.  The four cattle pens (/location-summaries/structure-298170) are larger than those found elsewhere, and the dock was scheduled to have a capacity for five wagons.  The small brick building, adjacent to the cattle dock, behind the buffer stops, was designated as a “Saw Dust House”, a facility provided… Read more