The locomotive shed (for the construction-era tramway locomotives) was demolished when the site was cleared at the end of construction works. However, its site can still be identified by a long, thin, grass-covered linear depression in the ground. This is visible in the large image below (leading-up from the bottom edge, slightly to the right of centre).
SCRCA Structure 247787: Ribblehead Railway Construction Camp: Tramway Locomotive Shed
Key details from the Location Record
- Location Type
- Archaeological Site
- Location Variant
- Archaeologal Site - Other
- Assessment status
- Current Use(s)
- Shown on a land plan?
- Construction / installation period
- MR-C: Constructed by the Midland Railway Co. between 1869 and 31st December 1876.
- Distance from London St.Pancras
- 247 miles (chains not estimated)
- Position relative to running lines
- This location IS visible from nearby publicly accessible land.
- Accessibility (ease of access)
- Protection Category
- Scheduled Ancient Monument
- Geographic Location
- View this location on aerial imagery.
Errors and omissions