During the construction of the Settle-Carlisle Railway, clay was extracted from beneath the ground in this location, then mixed with ground-up shale to make bricks.
SCRCA Structure 247790: Ribblehead Railway Construction Camp: Clay Pits
Key details from the Location Record
- Location Type
- Archaeological Site
- Location Variant
- Archaeologal Site - Quarry or Pit
- Assessment status
- Current Use(s)
- Shown on a land plan?
- Construction / installation period
- MR-C: Constructed by the Midland Railway Co. between 1869 and 31st December 1876.
- Distance from London St.Pancras
- 247 miles (chains not estimated)
- Position relative to running lines
- This location IS visible from nearby publicly accessible land.
- Accessibility (ease of access)
- Protection Category
- Scheduled Ancient Monument
- Geographic Location
- View this location on mapping. or on aerial imagery.
Errors and omissions