During the construction of the Settle-Carlisle Railway, shale was extracted from the exposed rock faces on either side of - and below - the lower waterfall at Force Gill, significantly widening the otherwise narrow, naturally 'V'-shaped valley at this point. As there was (is) no naturally occurring sand or gravel in this area, the shale was ground-up then either mixed with clay to make bricks or mixed with ground-up gritstone and burnt lime to make mortar / concrete. These essential building materials were then used to construct the bridges (including Ribblehead Viaduct) and other key structures along the Ribblehead - Blea Moor section of the line.
SCRCA Structure 249295: Force Gill Shale Quarry
Key details from the Location Record
- Location Type
- Archaeological Site
- Location Variant
- Archaeologal Site - Quarry or Pit
- Assessment status
- Current Use(s)
- Shown on a land plan?
- Construction / installation period
- MR-C: Constructed by the Midland Railway Co. between 1869 and 31st December 1876.
- Distance from London St.Pancras
- 249 miles (chains not estimated)
- Position relative to running lines
- This location IS visible from nearby publicly accessible land.
- Accessibility (ease of access)
- Protection Category
- The structure or site is not currently protected
- Geographic Location
- View this location on aerial imagery.
Errors and omissions