Recently Uploaded Snippets

This webpage allows regular visitors to the SCRCA web-portal to quickly and easily view recently uploaded 'snippets'.   Show / hide tips

  • If desired, use the filter below to display only snippets of the matching type.
  • Snippets are grouped by month/year (with the most recent at the top), then displayed in reverse date order for each period.
  • If the snippet text is shorter than 500 characters, the snippet is shown in full. Longer snippets are trimmed to 500 characters. Trimming is denoted by the elipse (...) and by the addition of a 'Read more' link. To improve the readability of the trimmed text, all formatting within the snippet extract is removed except for paragraph breaks, line breaks and hyperlinks.
  • To open the full snippet, click / tap on its title or 'Read more' link.

September 2015

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298110

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

  Plate 196 shows a Class 2P heading an “up” express through Armathwaite station in 1938.  The engine is passing over Station Road bridge - No 324 - 298 miles 4 chains (/location-summaries/structure-298070).  Illustrated here is an example of iron railings on the bridge parapet near to a station platform.  The bridge numberplate is a standard LMS fitment. Almost hidden by the engine is the main building and booking office and at the far end of the up Platform (/location-summaries/structure-… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 298070

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 196 shows a Class 2P heading an “up” express through Armathwaite station in 1938.  The engine is passing over Station Road bridge - No 324 - 298 miles 4 chains.  Illustrated here is an example of iron railings on the bridge parapet near to a station platform.  The bridge numberplate is a standard LMS fitment. Almost hidden by the engine is the main building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-298110) and at the far end of the up platform (/location-summaries/structure-298130… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 297400

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 195 shows bridge No 321 - 297 miles 31 chains at Armathwaite.  The former turnpike road passes through the embankment approach to Armathwaite Viaduct.  This is an example of an atypical bridge formation, pointed arches being an infrequent occurrence.  It is quite possible that the bridge was constructed prior to the embankment being formed.  The slightly skewed bridge was built entirely of stone in 1871, pre-dating the viaduct.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 297340

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 193 is a context view from the south showing a Class 5 locomotive heading a northbound freight way from Armathwaite Tunnel, as the line curves to the right over Armathwaite Viaduct and along to Armathwaite station.  The line is still holding a raised position on the valley side as it descends towards Carlisle. The platelayers' hut (/location-summaries/structure-297010) is on the left of the line before it heads over Armathwaite Viaduct. Plate 194 is an evening view of Armathwaite Viaduct… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 297010

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 193 is a context view from the south showing a Class 5 locomotive heading a northbound freight way from Armathwaite Tunnel, as the line curves to the right over Armathwaite Viaduct (/location-summaries/structure-297340) and along to Armathwaite station.  The line is still holding a raised position on the valley side as it descends towards Carlisle. The platelayers' hut is on the left of the line before it heads over Armathwaite Viaduct.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296730

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 191 shows a Class 5MT with a Durran Hill to Washwood Heath express freight emerging from the southern end of Armathwaite Tunnel (/location-summaries/structure-296600) on 28 May 1960. Plate 192 is from 8 September 1967 and shows the 09.50 St Pancras to Glasgow "Thames Clyde Express" emerging from the north portal of Armathwaite Tunnel (/location-summaries/structure-296820). The Tunnel - No 308 - 296 miles 63 chains is 325 yards long was constructed with stone side side walls, arch and… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296820

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 192 is from 8 September 1967 and shows the 09.50 St Pancras to Glasgow "Thames Clyde Express" emerging from the north portal of Armathwaite Tunnel. The Tunnel - No 308 - 296 miles 63 chains - is 325 yards long and was constructed with stone side side walls, arch and facings.  An alternative name for this tunnel is Cat Clint, a local name for the area through which the tunnel passes.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296600

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 191 shows a Class 5MT with a Durran Hill to Washwood Heath express freight emerging from the southern end of Armathwaite Tunnel on 28 May 1960

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296300

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Figure 73 shows the Baron Wood Sidings track layout, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 1913.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296250

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Figure 73 shows the Baron Wood Sidings track layout, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 1913.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296180

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Figure 73 shows the Baron Wood Sidings track layout, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 1913. Plate 189 shows Baron Wood Sidings with a northbound express freight on 28 May 1960. A private siding was provided at Baron Wood for the use of the Ley family of Lazonby Hall, whose extensive forestry land is traversed between Lazonby and Armathwaite.  Pit props were prepared at the local sawmill and transported from Baron Wood Sidings during World War 1, sufficient traffic to warrant the provision… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296150

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Figure 73 shows the Baron Wood Sidings track layout, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 1913.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 296090

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Figure 73 shows the Baron Wood Sidings track layout, based upon a Midland Railway survey of 1913.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 295690

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 188 is an elevation view from the south of the southern portal of Baron Wood Tunnel No 2  - No 316 - 295 miles 63 chains.  The 251 yard long tunnel is of similar construction to No 1 (see SCRCA structure ref 292520 and 295620) (/location-summaries/structure-295620) and was constructed between 1871 and 1873.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 295630

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 187 is an elevation view from the north of the northern end of Baron Wood Tunnel No 1  - No 315 - 295miles 49 chains (/location-summaries/structure-295620).  The 207 yard long tunnel was cut between 1870 and 1873.  It was finished with red sandstone side walls, arch and facing, with patches of brickwork to the arch. The platelayers' hut is on the left of the portal.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 295620

Created on 27 Sep 2015.

Plate 187 is an elevation view from the north of the northern end of Baron Wood Tunnel No 1  - No 315 - 295miles 49 chains.  The 207 yard long tunnel was cut between 1870 and 1873.  It was finished with red sandstone side walls, arch and facing, with patches of brickwork to the arch.

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292770

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Plate 186 shows Lazonby siding in 1913. The typical Settle & Carlisle style of goods shed (/location-summaries/structure-292740) was provided to hold three wagons.  The wheel scotch, just outside the shed door, was an item usually provided on the rail at each end of a shed where through running was allowed. Work is being carried out at the wagons at the far end, adjacent to the crane (/location-summaries/structure-292700).  It would appear that the Midland Railway was about to move a large… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292740

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Plate 182 is an elevation view from the south of Lazonby and Kirkoswald station in August 1966.  This is a fine view of a No 2 medium-size station.  Kirkoswald was added to the name from July 1895.  The station became an unstaffed halt on 2 January 1967, and closed to passengers on 4 May 1970. The image shows the main station building and booking office (/location-summaries/structure-292560) on the passenger platform (down) (/location-summaries/structure-292570).  In the distance are the swan-… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292720

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Figure 71 shows the Lazonby and Kirkoswald track layout from a Midland Railway survey of 1911.   Figure 72 is a signalling diagram for Lazonby, based upon information available for 1955. Plate 183 is an elevation image of Lazonby signal box.  Brought into use on 18 July 1895, it was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, had a 16 lever tumbler frame and a renewal cost of £212 (W & W Committee minute No 14316, 7/6/1895).  It closed on 25 June 1969.  All ‘down’ side… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292700

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Figure 71 shows the Lazonby and Kirkoswald track layout from a Midland Railway survey of 1911. Plate 186 shows Lazonby siding (/location-summaries/structure-292770) in 1913. The typical Settle & Carlisle style of goods shed (/location-summaries/structure-292740) was provided to hold three wagons.  The wheel scotch, just outside the shed door, was an item usually provided on the rail at each end of a shed where through running was allowed. Work is being carried out at the wagons at the far… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292650

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Figure 72 is a signalling diagram for Lazonby, based upon information available for 1955. Plate 183 is an elevation image of Lazonby signal box (/location-summaries/structure-292720).  Brought into use on 18 July 1895, it was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, had a 16 lever tumbler frame and a renewal cost of £212 (W & W Committee minute No 14316, 7/6/1895).  It closed on 25 June 1969.  All ‘down’ side connections had been taken out of use from 29 March 1965, goods… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292640

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Plate 181 is an elevation view from the north showing Lazonby and Kirkoswald station in 1939. The photographer is standing alongside the extensive cattle pens for eight wagons, provided for the large volume of livestock traffic generated here.  Although the year is 1939, the station is still in its Midland Railway guise. Note, particularly, the fencing, the tall nameboard, and swan-neck water crane (/location-summaries/structure-292630).  The stationmaster’s house (/location-summaries/structure… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292630

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Plate 181 is an elevation view from the north showing Lazonby and Kirkoswald station in 1939. The photographer is standing alongside the extensive cattle pens for eight wagons, provided for the large volume of livestock traffic generated here (/location-summaries/structure-292640).  Although the year is 1939, the station is still in its Midland Railway guise. Note, particularly, the fencing, the tall nameboard, and swan-neck water column.  The stationmaster’s house (/location-summaries/… Read more

SCRCA Secondary Reference: Review of Anderson & Fox (1986) for 292620

Created on 20 Sep 2015.

Figure 72 is a signalling diagram for Lazonby, based upon information available for 1955. Plate 183 is an elevation image of Lazonby signal box (/location-summaries/structure-292720).  Brought into use on 18 July 1895, it was of wood construction, measured 16ft 6in x 11ft 6in x 8ft, had a 16 lever tumbler frame and a renewal cost of £212 (W & W Committee minute No 14316, 7/6/1895).  It closed on 25 June 1969.  All ‘down’ side connections had been taken out of use from 29 March 1965, goods… Read more