The water troughs and adjacent tank house (see Structure 255900) were built in 1907 at a cost of £4,396. The troughs were 1,670 feet long and each one could hold between 5,000 and 6,000 gallons of water. The troughs were steam-heated in winter to prevent the water freezing. They were first used on the 22nd of October 1907 and, as a result of the withdrawal of steam locomotives from mainline use, they became redundant in March 1968.
SCRCA structure 255910: Garsdale Water Troughs
Key details from the Location Record
- Location Type
- Water Troughs
- Location Variant
- Not Applicable
- Assessment status
- Current Use(s)
- Shown on a land plan?
- Construction / installation period
- Unknown: The date / period of construction is not known.
- Distance from London St.Pancras
- 255 miles and 76 chains
- Position relative to running lines
- This location IS visible from nearby publicly accessible land.
- Accessibility (ease of access)
- Protection Category
- Not Applicable - demolished or relocated
- Geographic Location
- View this location on aerial imagery.
Errors and omissions